iRest Yoga Nidra has been developed over the past twenty-six years by Richard Miller, PhD, a clinical psychologist, author, researcher and yogic scholar, and is uniquely suitable for a Western audience. Extensive research has shown that iRest effectively supports the healing process across a broad range of populations. Currently, there are iRest programs in military hospitals across the U.S., as well as in correctional facilities, hospices, clinics, schools, and organizations supporting personal growth and well-being. In June of 2010, iRest was endorsed by the US Army Surgeon General and Defense Centers of Excellence as a complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Learn more about iRest Research.
How It Works
iRest is integrative, in that it heals the various unresolved issues, traumas, and wounds that are present in the body and mind. It is restorative in that it aids its practitioners in recognizing their underlying peace of mind that is always present amidst all changing circumstances of life.
People using iRest report:
- Decreased stress, anxiety, fear and depression
- Decreased insomnia and sleep disturbances
- Decreased perception of chronic and acute pain
- Improved interpersonal relations
- Increased energy levels
- Increased sense of control in their lives
- More confidence and joy in their lives
- Greater sense of peace and well-being
iRest programs are typically taught as a guided meditation. Students can expect to lie down or sit comfortably during the practice. View the listing of upcoming iRest Trainings and Retreats, where you can:
- Explore and develop intention
- Experience Body Sensitivity training
- Experience breath and energy awareness
- Develop systematic neutralization of:
- Negative body sensations and stress
- Negative feelings & emotions
- Negative beliefs, images and memories
- Experience joy and well-being
- Develop freedom from the sense of separation generated by the senses and mind
- Learn to experience peace amidst the changing circumstances of life
Learn more about the iRest Training Program and Certification.